I suggest you ...

Manually set mark without using Comic Rocket HTML frame/comic-viewing interface

One comic I read (GPF Comics) has JavaScript in the homepage which breaks any containing frame. This means that the Comic Rocket bar which would normally enable me to set the frame is wiped out completely. The same script also breaks the mobile app. Since I don't trust the comic's writer to change his mind about frames, would it be possible for Comic Rocket to enable users to set their mark manually, by inputting the number of the comic they want?

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Randall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminJosh Triplett (Admin, Comic Rocket) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surprised that the script manages to break the mobile app, which does not use frames. There are comics that do break the mobile app, but they're comics where the URL known by Comic Rocket doesn't match the one used by the comic, possibly with redirects involved. (Friendship is Dragons has that problem.)

(There is unfortunately nothing we can do about framebusting scripts, other than writing browser extensions. However, the mobile app should work unless the comic URLs are wrong in Comic Rocket.)

If the URLs *do* match, but the site doesn't work with frames, then you should be able to use the Comic Rocket bookmarklet interface, which constructs URLs based on the current page. See https://www.comic-rocket.com/help/bookmarklets/ and grab the bookmarklet for "Next".

Also, while you can't currently set your mark by inputting a page *number*, you can set your mark by inputting a comic URL; see "Add to My Comics by URL:" in the right sidebar of your user page.

Between the two of those solutions, do those address this issue?

• Randall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since Comic Rocket has no intention of fixing this problem, I found a hack to work around it: if you find the URL of the comic you want to mark (possibly by going to the Info page of the comic), you can force it to mark that page by appending "?mark" (no quotes) to the URL. This can also be used to fix intermittenly-broken comics (such as Sluggy Freelance) where the mark sometimes gets set a few comics *after* the most recent comic, and going to the Info page is the only way to get a working URL.

Feedback and Knowledge Base