I suggest you ...

Improve page load speeds, so that comic pages load in under two seconds.

In my environment (Firefox 27.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.9.1) the initial request for http://www.comic-rocket.com/read/comic_name/issue_number?mark usually takes between 5 and 10 seconds. In one test, Firefox's network console reported:

DNS resolution: 0 ms
Connecting: 64 ms
Sending: 0 ms
Waiting: 7383 ms
Receiving: 1 ms

Is there any way this can be improved?

109 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sam H.Sam H. shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Talik@talikcreative.comTalik@talikcreative.com commented  · 

This seems to have gotten better lately, but was absolutally horrible a while ago. A JS solution like Yuriolen suggests would be ideal, where the comic page can reload at the same time as a query to the CR server to store your bookmark.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Simple workaround - open page 2 in a new tab while you read page 1, then close page 1, open page 3 in a new tab while you read page 2 etc.

• YuriolenYuriolen commented  · 

An idea for this: Use a javascript based interface, such that only the comic frame reloads, while the comic-rocket frame stays constant.

The backend should already mostly exist, since on Android everything is lightning fast.

Such a change would also make the site more useful on iOS devices. Ideally the top bar would be floating so as to stay visible when scrolling down. Even more ideally this would allow reducing the mobile app to a thin wrapper around a webapp which works mostly across all platforms and integrates well with browsers for the accessibility features (font size settings, bookmarklets etc).

• OverandOverand commented  · 

Yeah - maybe they should hire a new sysadmin and a new developer to supplement their team & bring in some fresh ideas! (Maybe they should drop me a line (at)gmail to help!)

• Jonathan GawrychJonathan Gawrych commented  · 

This is very important and should be high priority. The speed is way too long for a simple get request.

Also move your javascript libraries to a cdn to improve speed, server load, and caching between other sites.

Feedback and Knowledge Base