I suggest you ...

Detect when pages use X-Frame-Options to forbid framing, and offer a link instead

Some pages, notably fanfiction.net, forbid framing using X-Frame-Options. Comic Rocket's crawler should notice this when crawling, and offer a slightly different viewer, which offers the usual navigation but replaces the iframe with a link to the page; I'd suggest making that page open in a new window by default, to keep the navigation around.

For extra credit, it might be possible to pop up the navigation and page in separate windows and have one navigate the other, though I'm not sure if that's actually possible.

12 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminJosh Triplett (Admin, Comic Rocket) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this request. Quite a few comics are disabling the ability to view in frames. On Firefox you just get a blank screen, on Chrome you get a "cannot connect error". Only in Edge do you get a helpful link that opens the comic in a new tab. Not perfect but better than nothing.

• Klaus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The issue seems to be becoming more common; I am recently seeing it with an increasing number of pages.

To add insult to injury, Chrome doesn't display a user-visible error message in this case, which is likely to make average users consider Comic-Rocket broken. Internet explorer by comparison displays a clear error-message instead of the iframe contents.

Feedback and Knowledge Base