I suggest you ...

Integrate Archive Binge with the comic marker

Newcomer here from Archive Binge, so I may be misunderstanding how Comic Rocket works, and this may sound silly.

It might help us newbies transition to the Comic Rocket way of life if the pages we visit via the RSS feed were marked in the same way they are when we use the Comic Rocket navigation bar to work through a comic's archive.

Thanks to the RSS feeds, I've gotten several pages of comics under my belt, but the marker on the main page for my comic still says I'm way behind.

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Boolean263 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nojh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Boolean263. Navigating to a site via my Archive Binge RSS feed should mark the comic if I have it as one of my comics. I don't equate it to being any different than clicking on the right or left arrow in the comic rocket tool bar.

When it doubt, just offer a setting on the archive binge feed to check 'Automatically update comic rocket page count when visiting via archive binge feed'.

• Boolean263 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First of all, thanks for the quick reply!

I think updating the Archive Binge from your Comic Rocket bookmark is a great idea. Then I can binge on a few strips through Comic Rocket and not have to edit my feed to account for it.

Re. the other direction: In pure Comic Rocket, I notice that my bookmark automatically gets set to the highest page I view when using the CR navigation frame, and I don't need to manually mark it for my next visit. So, based on that, I would assume that visiting a page from the RSS feed should also mark that page. But I'm sure arguments could be made both ways.

Maybe this is getting too fiddly/technical, but here's an idea anyway: Would it make sense to update the mark automatically if I visit, via the RSS feed, the same page that I'd be visiting if I click on the comic's link on My Comics? Food for thought.

Thanks again, for Comic Rocket and for welcoming us Bingers so openly!

• AdminJamey Sharp (Admin, Comic Rocket) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been trying to figure out how that should work. It would certainly be nice to integrate them more closely!

At the least, we'll be deploying a change soon to update your Archive Binge feed if you move your Comic Rocket bookmark for the same comic.

Going the other direction, if you want to set a Comic Rocket bookmark to the page you've just visited from your Archive Binge feed, you can already click the red "Mark This Page" button in the Comic Rocket toolbar.

I'm not sure whether reading through RSS should automatically update the Comic Rocket bookmark. What do you expect to have happen then?

Feedback and Knowledge Base