I suggest you ...

Simplify and re-organize genres

Not knowing what the plans are for the "predefined list of tags and genres" or what changes may have already been made in this area already, I felt it important to... I guess "state the obvious"...

I was just looking through the select field for genres while updating the info for Woohooligan and noticing genres like "knitting" and "centaurs" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "adaptation of classic literature", any of which are likely to have no more than about 3 total comics in the entire world that legitimately fit into that as a "genre".

Yes, there's a comic called "everyone's a centaur" that would fit in the category "centaurs", but just because a comic happens to have centaurs wouldn't make it a genre for that comic, and there aren't enough comics that have centaurs as a central theme to clutter up the genres with that.

Even if you keep it, you've then got to add "mermaids" and "harpies" and "chupacabra" and "bigfoot" to be fair... and if there's a genre for "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" then there's got to be a genre for any moderately popular TV series like "Friends" and "Saved By the Bell" and "Breaking Bad" and "That 70s Show"... not to mention other hobbies to be fair, since "knitting" is in the list, you'd have to include "macrome" and "shuffleboard" and "darts" and "stamp collecting" and "pinochle"...

and the next thing you know, you've got a list of billions of genres and nobody can even manage the genre list to even update their comic because it's impossible to even read through the list.

To have those as "tags" would be fine... let people write-in whatever they want as tags, but the categories need to be paired down -- preferably sooner than later.

On that note, I'm not sure if "gag a day" and "ongoing" really qualify as "genres" and it might be a good idea to have a separate designation for the "format" or possibly "story format" of the comic which would indicate whether the comic has an ongoing story, a series of short-stories, gag-a-day or some combination. This particular field would be much easier to manage since it would only have about 3-5 possible values.

And it might actually make searching a bit easier too if some of the genres were grouped, i.e. by time period might include "prehistoric, historical, fantasy, modern, future and time-travel" while by "theme" or "mood" would include the big-3-5 broader genres you see in video stores: action, drama, comedy, romance, documentary

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Sam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, and also I laughed when I saw the genre "beards". ;P

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It occurs to me after the fact that a set of "format" categories might also include information about the visual format, such as single-panel vs. multi-panel. Or maybe single-panel is just another variation on the continuum between gag-a-day and ongoing story ... one that occurs just before gag-a-day -- it's a gag-a-day that's further limited to just the one panel.

In any event, I'm glad you appreciated my comments... I was a bit concerned that I might be coming across kind of belligerent and accidentally offend you guys (though I did suspect that the genres were originally all write-ins like you said). Though admittedly, I'm always kind of nervous when I talk to people because of my autism. ;P

• AdminJamey Sharp (Admin, Comic Rocket) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great summary of the current situation.

Just so you know how we got here: Initially, we let people enter anything they wanted. When we switched to a single list, we cleaned up the most redundant entries but haven't had a chance to pare the list down further.

Your comments will help as we clean this up. Thanks!

Feedback and Knowledge Base