I suggest you ...

Tag every comic with a status of (1) completed, (2) updating, and (3) hiatus

Its helpful to know what the status of a comic is when deciding to read -- is it done or actively being updated or is in deep hibernation and unfinished?

296 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    X shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Todd Jennings commented  · 

For me the big difference is between a comic that is not updating because the story is finished, compared to those that haven't. I don't want to invest much time in a story that I will never see the end of.

So I would say there should be five categories:
        1. Updating -- The normal status.
        2. Not updating (unknown reason) -- This is for comics that aren't updating, but it isn't clear why.
        3. Hiatus -- This is for comics that are known to be temporarily not updating.
        4. Cancelled -- This is for comics that will never be updated and whose story is incomplete
        5. Complete -- This is for comics that will never be updated because their story is finished.

"Updating" is the normal status. I

If the comic isn't updated for 6 months, it automatically gets the "Not updating (unknown reason)" if no other status is set.

If the comic isn't updated for 1 year, it automatically gets the "Hiatus" status if no other status is manually set, but owners can also manually set this status along with an expected return date.

If the comic isn't updated for 3 years, it automatically gets this status if no other status is manually set. Owners can also manually set this status.

• Bill Parrott commented  · 

I have started working on a Greasemonkey script to add functionality similar to this, as well as some other useful features. I welcome anyone who is interested to try it out and give me feedback. So far, I have basic sorting and filtering functions working pretty well, but I have less than 20 subscriptions. I'd like to get feedback from people with lots of subscriptions to let me know how it performs.

I have the script on GitHub, and you can install it directly from here:
        https://github.com/chimericdream/GreasemonkeyScripts/raw/feature/comic-rocket/dist/comic-rocket-science/comic-rocket-science.user.js

I have an issue created where I am tracking the planned features and where suggestions/feedback should go:
        https://github.com/chimericdream/GreasemonkeyScripts/issues/6

You can see a screenshot of what the current version looks like here:
        https://github.com/chimericdream/GreasemonkeyScripts/blob/feature/comic-rocket/src/comic-rocket-science/screenshot.png

I appreciate any input people are willing to provide!

• Erin Ptah commented  · 

This, please! Then make it a filtering option. "Hiatus" could be a status the author can manually trigger, or automatically set off when something hasn't updated for, say, 6 months. "Complete" could be author-triggered or user-nominated.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Actually I think this is a great idea! I like to read completed comics and get frusturated when I get to the end of when a comic was updating and there is no real ending just a spot where the comic was dropped by the artist.

• AlpineBob commented  · 

I think this is a non-issue. Just look at the date of the last update - if it is over a week old, the comic is a slow updater. If it is more than a month old, the comic is a sporadic updater, more than two months and it is either on hiatus or completed.

It don't matter to me one way or the other. As long as the gestalt of art, character, and story speaks to me, I'll read it. _ All_ the uncompleted comics are by definition incomplete, so any of them may end up on hiatus. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy them, unfinished or not.

• Caleb Child commented  · 

Sure, but how many people would pass by an awesome comic just because they notice it is no longer updating? Some of my favorite comics have completed or dropped into hiatus mode, and I sure would hate to think that so many people are missing out on them just because they aren't still updating.
        Besides, what if the author stopped updating because he feels no one reads it? Strictly speaking, this is the case for all hiatus comics; they all feel like it isn't worth their effort to keep making comics. If more people are reading the archives and checking for updates, it might convince them to get back on the horse.

Furthermore, how do you decide when a comic is on hiatus or not?

Feedback and Knowledge Base