I suggest you ...

let me turn off "Selected Readers"

I use Comic Rocket as my personal reader. I don't need to see that other people are reading the same thing. The pictures of random people I don't know and never will is just distracting and visually cluttered.

166 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TrevorTrevor shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Seriously who are these people and why should I care? It's like an extended list of posts that say:

*first*

• Jake LoganJake Logan commented  · 

Agreed. Serves absolutely no purpose, as far as I'm concerned.

• Talik@talikcreative.comTalik@talikcreative.com commented  · 

As a new user with no friends in the system I fou d these pictures totally confusing. I assumed they had something to do with the comic, like genre icons, or something like that. Instead they seem to take up a fair amount of real estate for absolutally no purpose.

• IamthepiguyIamthepiguy commented  · 

Perhaps a small label with "X are reading" or "X friends read this", which could then expand to show pictures on click? That would not remove the usefulness in distinguishing between comics of similar names/duplicates, but would remove the visual clutter. Also perhaps check if users' gravatar is the blank one, and replace with the comic rocket "no avatar" image instead? (That might not be feasible.)

• ruffslruffsl commented  · 

I also wouldn't mind seeing people I know or have on my friends list.
        I do understand that seeing these sometimes helps you find comics you might like by inadvertently seeing common gravatars as on the comics you currently read, but it does make it a bit too busy.
        Limiting this to people you know would still be more effective for this too though.

• PhillipPhillip commented  · 

I do not mind the photos, but the height of the lower section should be reduced by about a third. It takes away from the comic logo.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

What if it was still available as a click/tab option instead? I have actually found a few more comics to read because I've noticed a few of the same pictures showing up, so I clicked on them and saw what other comics they liked. It's not an entirely unuseful feature but I can understand the cluttered comments. What if the images were desaturated or something? They might look a bit more uniform?

• LuluLulu commented  · 

When I first started using comic rocket, it didn't bother me that much, but now that I've added a ton more comics - I won't lie, it's very distracting. A lot of the images are showing up as broken links, too, so it makes it very cluttered and (um, well) kinda ugly.

• Josh TriplettAdminJosh Triplett (Admin, Comic Rocket) commented  · 

In my case, I wouldn't mind seeing people I know, but I don't care to see people I don't know.

Also, I do agree that those images make the page look *really* busy.

(And it doesn't help that half of them consist of the standard gravatar placeholder image.)

Feedback and Knowledge Base