I suggest you ...

add a feature to scan a comic manually

The author of my favorite comic announces a new page on Twitter. I go to Comic Rocket, only to find that the new page has not been indexed yet. So I go to the comic's website and read the new page there, and when it later shows up on Comic Rocket, I just click through it.

With this feature, I could instead hit a “rescan” button of some sort, wait until the comic has been scanned, and read the new page on Comic Rocket.

189 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    FenhlFenhl shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FeatherpantsFeatherpants commented  · 

Mine doesn't update at all. Its just showing 2 pages still for a month now since I added my comic here.
        There isn't even anything special in my links. And yeah I would love to manually update pages too.

• TaitTait commented  · 

I'm frustrated with this also. I updated my comic over a week ago and the new pages still aren't showing up on Comic Rocket. Readers may not be visiting the site because CR is telling them there are no new pages.

• Jake LoganJake Logan commented  · 

One thing I don't understand is when exactly comics get scanned. It's 3pm GMT here and yet XKCD (which is not exactly obscure!) is marked as not having updated yet, something which happened about 9 hours ago.

It's great having a comics reader, but less so having one that makes you wait a day before it finds stuff.

• supercerealososupercerealoso commented  · 

Would be very useful, sometimes some pages like blog entries or extra stuff shouldn't be indexed.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Being able to manually scan is great, but I think it has to be done carefully, either through author permissions (ie the author and selected mods) or for new pages it is done through some kind of vote system, so if something is indexed wrong and enough votes say hey this isn't a correct next page it gets thrown out. Any page manually scanned would be noted as not being a "default" scanned page when you visit it maybe with a color change to the page number in the bar or something minor and allow for voting on the side.

• Don KochDon Koch commented  · 

Basically, this point to the main problem with CR: its update algorithm sucks. If the updates don't work, people are going to stop using it. Granted, sometimes a comic site goes awry for various reasons, but I've seen sites show up in my "broken" list that haven't changed. I've also seen comics that updated three days before CR noticed (and it was *still* an update behind).

• KarlKarl commented  · 

This might also help with a problem I'm having with several of the comics I'm reading (or there may already be a solution that I'm not aware of).

Several of the comics I follow keep going in spite of being scanned and not updated. I don't know if it's because they change hosts (as in some cases) or if there's something else going on there, but if this works the way I'm understanding, I could just follow the link to the next page and then mark it with the Rocket bar.

All I know is I'm getting tired of emailing support with a list of comics and I'm sure they're tired of getting them too.

• Caleb ChildCaleb Child commented  · 

It might be better to simply have Comic Rocket subscribe to RSS feeds, and then scan the ones that don't have them.
        Anyone using Wordpress already has RSS send out update notifications.

• Don KochDon Koch commented  · 

I would suggest limiting a rescan feature to the author to avoid refresh monkeys.

Better still, you should look into doing a WordPress plugin for the author to use that automatically notifies C-R when an update has occurred. A generic php module could be used for those sites not using WP.

• Shawn GustafsonShawn Gustafson commented  · 

As a creator, I'd love this ability as well. There are some situations where I need to either delete a page or put it in a different category, which can throw the indexing out of whack. Being able to manually trigger a scan would help me to fix any problems that crop up.

Another idea to address the initial complaint is to allow creators to enter information about their release schedule so that a scan can be scheduled immediately after. For instance, we post a new page every Monday at 12:01. If I could configure a scan for Mondays at 12:05, then Comic-Rocket's index would always be up to date.

• IchiIchi commented  · 

I think this would be useful, but for another reason. I'm trying to catch up with "A Redtail's Dream" and the layout changed, along with the URLs for the archive. Comic Rocket only knows about 77 pages in the comic, when I know it's well over 92 (When RSS was added to the site). In this case, it's switching from .htm to .php. Other comics may have more drastic changes. When I edit the Comic-Rocket profile, it still shows all the old archive URLs. I don't know how long it's going to take for Comic Rocket to update to the correct URLs.

Feedback and Knowledge Base